What should I do if I was denied employment insurance benefits?
Losing your job can greatly disrupt your plans and negatively impact your psychological well-being and quality of life. While employment insurance was created to help minimize the impact of losing your job on your life, you may be denied employment insurance benefits through no fault of your own. If you believe that you were wrongfully denied employment insurance benefits, we can help.
The Employment Insurance program is administered by Service Canada and provides short-term financial assistance for employees who find themselves out of termination, sickness or a need to leave the workforce for a number of other eligible reasons such as to take care of a family member. In order to be eligible for employment insurance, you must have worked a minimum number of hours in the past. The employment insurance scheme also has a number of additional requirements. For example, you may not be eligible for employment insurance if you have been terminated for just cause or voluntarily quit your job. However there are a number of possible options for appealing your unfavorable employment insurance decision and you should not hesitate to contact an employment insurance lawyer in order to do so.
The following are some examples of disputes concerning employment insurance benefits:
- You were denied employment insurance because you were deemed to have voluntarily quit your job, however your employer did not actually leave you any choice in the matter
- You left your job to care for your newborn child but were denied employment insurance benefits
- Your employment insurance decision appeal was denied and you would like the court to review the decision
During the initial consultation we will help you to:
- Determine whether you have been wrongfully denied employment insurance benefits
- Recognize your legal entitlements under the Employment Insurance Act
- Understand all your possible options going forward in the courts, the Canada Employment Insurance Commission and other bodies
- Create a strategy tailored to your case in order to provide you with best outcome in your case
If you have been denied employment insurance benefits, you should not have to face your struggle alone.
Call an employment insurance lawyer today: (416) 616- 5628.
Our track record speaks for itself: We are the leading experts in the field.